Once upon a time I was dating someone who was a true gentleman. He would hold my hand down the stairs, he would blow me kisses from the cab after dropping me off at the train station, he would answer my calls. Midwest breeding. Tall. Strong hands. Excellent kisser.
This gentleman was great with my son. Though I am slightly overprotective of him, Adam needs some male influence in his life and also needs someone to throw all 45 pounds of him around at the playground. This gentleman was strong enough to carry him and handle him with care and curiousity.
Once upon a time I bought him a card that said "I thought I knew Happy and then I found you...Cupid is definitely going to get a gift basket this year! Happy Valentine's Day, Baby". Corporate cute, definitely suitable for the industries that we both worked in.
And then shortly before Valentine's Day, this gentleman called me and said he was still in love with a girl from his past. I must follow my heart and run with this, he said to me, through what sounded like a sincere knot in his throat.
Once upon a time I knew a gentleman.
_____________________
I returned the card to Hallmark this morning, 2 days before Valentine's day and for the reason on the receipt I put "break up" and the register lady asked me if I would like her to call this jackass. I said no, he was a good one anyway.
Friday, February 12, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment